Friday, June 27, 2014

The Opposite of Maybe


I finished reading The Opposite of Maybe in two sittings. I would have done it in one, but it was late and my eyelids wouldn't stay open any longer. Even though when I went to sleep my brain wouldn't shut off and kept rehashing everything I had just read about Rosie and her eccentric, non-exciting life - so I couldn't wait to find the free time to finish the story. Maddie Dawson writes in a way that I feel like I know the characters. Although, they are considerably older than I am, I can identify with their lifestyle, friends, jobs, relationships, family dynamics, and surprises along the way of life. I was able to picture myself as Rosie in many of the situations and there were times I was excited along with her and I couldn't turn the pages quick enough and yes, there were times I would find myself teary-eyed. 

Overall the story contains real-life problems, the thoughts we all think but do not necessarily share, and best of all it shares the complexity of relationships and how a person going down one path in their life suddenly finds it leaving a void and we are left searching. Sometimes we don't know what we are searching for and the main character in this book doesn't know what she wants until she has tried every avenue. Rosie battles her own feelings and emotions, trying to do the right thing. In the end all that matters is what makes her happy. 

The Opposite of Maybe
 is written well with characters are well-developed and has a well described setting. Everything about the book I really enjoyed. I gave it 4.5 stars because it left me hanging! I know that sometimes this is for the best, but I just wanted to know what happened at the very end. I am a sucker for a good romance story and this doesn't disappoint. It is tasteful, fun, and not like a book I have read before. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a quick, fun read that makes them think about themselves also. 

I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment